Paperwork You Need to Buy a Car

September 6th, 2018 by

Landers Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram

One of the questions we get most often is, “What do I need to buy a car?” We always tell our customers that it depends on several things — credit, if you’re making a down payment, what kind of car you want, if you’re trading in, etc. There are a few basic things that everybody should bring with them to the dealership when it’s time to buy though.

Here they are:


If you plan on driving the car off the lot, and we know you do, you must have a valid driver’s license in order to buy. A DL also serves as identification for your form of payment.


Whether you’re pre-approved for financing with a lender or will finance with us through Chrysler Capital, bring cash, check or a card to make your down payment if you are making one.


Whether you’re trading in your current vehicle or not, you must secure insurance on the car you are buying before you leave with your new ride. If you already know what you are purchasing, go ahead and call your insurance provider to set up a new policy. Your insurance company will then email you or fax us that information so we can move forward with the sale.

Side note: It’s always a great idea to get a quote from your insurance provider so you know what to expect when that first payment is due. Depending on the vehicle you guy, your insurance payment will be higher or lower than what you’re currently paying in most cases.


If you’d like to take advantage of any of our special programs savings, you will need to provide certain documents to ensure you are eligible for the program’s rebate.


If you are trading in a vehicle and still owe on the loan, you’ll need to provide us with the account number for that loan. If you’d rather, and to help us streamline the process, call the lender before you come in and ask what you need to do to facilitate your trade-in and new vehicle purchase.


You’ll need to bring a copy of your current vehicle’s registration with the State of Arkansas, or where you live if buying from out of state, in order to trade it in. Make sure the registration is up to date and that the sticker is on your license plate or windshield.


If you are trading in a vehicle, you need to bring in proof that you own it. The title, also known as the pink slip, shows who legally owns the vehicle. If you have a co-signer or a lien against the vehicle, you’ll have to get those signatures before coming to the dealership as well.

If you have questions on any of these items or are ready to buy, please get in touch with us! Fill out our contact form or give us a call at (866) 354-1474.

We can’t wait to get you into your next car!

Posted in Car Tips, Financing